New power switch
First I had to change the NES power button from a toggle switch to a momentary switch. This is really easy, as you can see in the picture below there is a small copper coloured metal plate and wire on top of the power switch housing (just behind the spring). These can be easily pulled out, and they can be removed without damaging them, so this is not an irreversible modification. I didn't know this would be the case so I actually bought a spare NES power/reset button assembly and modified that.
The ATXRaspi is larger than the Mausberry circuit and it has connections coming in from 3 sides, so it takes up significantly more space so I mounted another piece of acrylic to screw it to.
I must confess that having the button as a momentary switch instead of a toggle does bother me slightly as it's less authentic, but it's a minor thing. I do now have the replacement switch from Mausberry Circuits but setting it up requires soldering and I need to replace the tip on my iron because it's not tinning properly at the moment making it a nightmare to use. At the moment I Just want to screw the NES case closed and enjoy the games, but I'll rig up the other switch at some point and then decide which one I want to use. Doesn't hurt to have different switches, I'm sure I'll come up with other Raspberry Pi projects to do.
Cartridge slot facade
One last little touch I wanted to do was to clean up the cartridge slot so that it didn't looks so amateur. To do this I just cut a piece of black plastic (cut from the cover of one of my uni notebooks) and hot glued it in place. The cutout around the hub is a little rough if you look closely as my stanley knife is blunt as hell right now, but it's still a massive improvement.
So that's it, the project is done. Now back to Punch-Out!!