Tuesday 22 December 2020

Volumetric flask + fence post = table lamp

Another lighting post.  I scavenged some glass wear from a chemistry lab that I thought might be good for projects.  For this one I used a 500ml spherical flask.  I made this as a Christmas gift for someone else, but I really like it so I might have to build another one that's similar.

I had a socket and power cord with dimmer
I still had some of the old termite ridden fence post that I used for the base of my standing lamp, underneath the exterior is beautiful dense red hardwood, so I cut all the components out of it



It was actually really hard to find an Edison globe that would fit, but eventually I got some 128mm globes.  Doesn't have an intricate a filament shape as I would have liked, but nothing this size seems to.
Finished with boiled linseed oil




Pretty happy with how it turned out, although the linseed oil made the wood a bit darker than I would have liked :/

Also wanted to put a nice braided cord on it, but couldn't get a dedicated dimmer switch in time due to covid shipping delays, so had to go with this crappier cord.  Oh well.













No comments:

Post a Comment